1. MODELS Which cars does the Habitents fit? The Habitents is for the 2003 through present Prius model(not the Prius c or Prius v). The Habitents also fits the Honda Insight quite nicely, due to the similarity of the body styles. More models will be developed as demand for other car models is gauged.
2. CONSTRUCTION What is the Habitents made out of? The Habitents is made out of 180T 1000 polyurethane coated polyester tent fabric. Polyester is stronger, more UV resistant and retains its shape better (does not stretch) in wind and rain. Polyester is naturally hydrophobic and the polyurethane coating increases its water resistance.
3. RAIN The hatchback acts as the "roof" of the Habitents. Rain that sheds down the rear part of the hatch flows down and off the rear bumper. For rain that sheds forward, the Habitents takes advantage of the Prius' built-in gutter system by shedding rain into the gutter between the roof and front of the hatch, on to the gutters on each side and out the back.
4. STORAGE What do you do with extra gear when sleeping in the Habitents? For gear that doesn't fit in the storage boxes that are used to extend the sleeping area, there is a good deal of room remaining on the front seats and floor in front of the front seats.
5. COLORS What color Habitents are available? The Habitents is available in the blue color shown in the photographs. This color absorbs less heat and keeps the sleeping area cooler.
6. SLEEPING Do you really need to extend the sleeping length? If you are not over six feet, a single person may be very comfortable in the Habitents without extending the sleeping space. If there are two people, however, you will need to extend the sleeping length.
7. STERLITE CONTAINERS Which containers should I use to build up the sleeping area behind the front seats? Whatever fits in your car is great. Ones that work well are the Sterlite storage containers. The two large ones are model 1659 (56 quart measuring 23x16 1/4x 12 3/8). The two small ones are model 1655 (28 quart measuring 23x16 1/4x 6). Stack one large on one small behind each front seat, which makes a height of 18 3/8. In order for them to fit, push the front seats all the way forward with the seatbacks tipped forward. We also remove the rear seat headrests.
8. SLEEPING PADS What kind of sleeping pads should I use? There is no right or wrong. You can use a single large mattress or two side by side ones. Ones that work well for us are Thermarest BaseCamp size Regular (20"x72"). These are less expensive and more durable than Thermarest's more expensive models. They are self-inflating so no sore cheeks or extra equipment to blow them up. And they roll up small when not in use. In addition, we have the Thermarest Trekker Lounge size Regular, which is a sleeve that slips over the pad and allows you to use your pad as a chair/lounger when not being used for sleep. You don't need to take the sleeve off when using the pad for sleep. They work slick!
9. US AND CANADA SHIPPING US shipping by 2-3 day Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation is $10. International First Class shipping to Canada is $10.
10. INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING Do you ship outside the US? Yes, we are happy to ship worldwide. Countries other than Canada- First Class International shipping is $17.88 worldwide and takes about a week or so depending on location and customs. If ordering from a country other than Canada, please purchase through your country's Ebay site by searching for "prius tent". If you need your Habitents by international express mail(3-5 business days for international shipments at a cost of about $47), please email us at the contact address above.
11. PAYMENT Through Paypal, you can purchase via paypal or by credit card. What is Paypal? Paypal, which is owned by Ebay, is a secure payment system that permits customers to pay for goods via credit card, even if the customer has no Paypal account. Paypal is the most secure way of paying for goods online, since Paypal creates a buffer between buyers and sellers, allowing completion of purchases without vendors ever getting the customer's credit card information. If you do not have a Paypal account, simply click on "Don't have a Paypal account?" when the payment page pops up and you can complete your purchase. Can I pay by check or money order? If you are in the US you can purchase via check or money order. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for mailing instructions.