1. MODELS Which cars does the Habitents fit? The original Habitents is for the 2003 through 2015 Prius. We now have models for several other cars, including the 2016 to present Prius, the Prius V and C, Honda Fit, Subaru Outback and Imprezza, Mazda 3, Ford Focus, etc. One of the multi-car models may fit numerous other cars not listed here. In general, these models will be too small for SUV's, but may fit smaller crossovers up to the size of the Outback.
2. CONSTRUCTION What is the Habitents made of? The Habitents is made out of 180T 1500 polyurethane coated polyester tent fabric. Polyester is stronger, more UV resistant and retains its shape better in wind and rain. Polyester is naturally hydrophobic and the polyurethane coating increases its water resistance.
3. RAIN The hatchback acts as the "roof" of the Habitents. Rain that sheds down the rear part of the hatch flows down and off the rear bumper. For rain that sheds forward, the Habitents takes advantage of the Prius' built-in gutter system by shedding rain into the gutter between the roof and front of the hatch, on to the gutters on each side and out the back. Seamsealing is not necessary or recommended.
4. STORAGE What do you do with extra gear when sleeping in the Habitents? Most your gear will store in the storage containers you use to build up the sleeping area. See video and FAQ 7 below. For gear that doesn't fit in the storage containers, there is still pently of on the front seats and floor in front of the front seats.
5. COLORS What color Habitents are available? The Habitents is available in the medium blue and green shown in the photographs. The light blue in the video is a previous model.
6. ELECTRICITY For the Standard Prius (which is what we own-other cars may be similar), when the hatch is open, the red "door open" dash light comes on which could deplete the 12V battery over several days of camping. You can easily turn that light off by using a small caribiner or loop of coat hanger to simulate the real latch loop. Here's a little Youtube video to show you how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzNm4lHHRZs. Note, apparently some newer subarus (I think with electric close hatches) will drain the battery quickly with the hatch open for even a few hours. So, in those cases, you should disconnect one pole of the battery.
7. IN BACK- You will probably want to fold the back seats flat. Then move the front seats forward as far as possible and fold the front seatbacks forward. Fill the gap between the front of the back seats and the back of the front seats with boxes or whatever will reach the height of the folded back seat. This will extend your sleeping are as much as possible. You can do this with boxes or containers on the floor. Alternatively you could buy a dog platform that spans the gap between the back of the front seats to on top of the folded back seats. That is what we use for weekend trips.
8.. MATTRESS What kind of pads should I use? Again, there is no right or wrong. You can use a single large mattress or two side by side ones. You can use a foam mattress or an inflatable one. Ones that work well for us are Thermarest BaseCamp size Regular). These are less expensive and more durable than Thermarest's more expensive models. They are also self-inflating so no sore cheeks or extra equipment to blow them up. And they roll up small when not in use. We also use the Thermarest Trekker Lounge size Regular, which is a sleeve that slips over the pad and allows you to use your pad as a chair/lounger during the day. You don't need to take the sleeve off when using the pad for sleep. They work slick!
9. PRIVACY- We like a dark sleeping area and privacy for changing clothes. We use one of those window screens on the front window that people use to keep their cars from overheating. On the side windows we started with cardboard cut to the same dimensions of our windows. Eventually, however, we bought black corrugated cardboard and used the old cardboard cutouts as the template for the new corrugated cardboard. They are very tough, durable and do not get wrecked when wet.
10. US SHIPPING: US shipping by 2-3 day Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation is $10US.
11. INTERNATIONAL SALES: We do not sell or ship internationally.
12. PAYMENT You can pay for your purchase by debit or credit card, or through your Paypal account if you have one. Paypal processes our debit/credit card payments, but you do not need to join Paypal to pay by credit/debit card. Simply click on "Check Out" rather than Paypal when prompted and chick on "Pay with debit or credit card or Paypal Credit" when prompted. If paying by credit card, please make sure to click on the "credit card" tab on the same page.